Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Be nice to the instruments!

Students, please, please, please, take care of your instruments! I've seen a lot of instruments lately in need of repair. When I look around the band room, I'm appalled by the way some students treat their instruments: banging them on the floor, dropping them, using them to scratch their backs, etc. These are expensive pieces of equipment! Please treat them with care. I can do minor repairs (tighten screws, push a spring back in place, etc.) but replacing parts or taking out dents is beyond my capabilities.

Also, just because it's in a case, does not mean that it's indestructible! A case helps protect your instrument, but it can get damaged if dropped, kicked (yes, I've seen cases kicked down the hall) or used as "seat" while waiting for the bus.

Repairs done by a professional can be expensive and leave you without an instrument for a couple of weeks. If you do have to take your instrument to the shop, make sure your parents write me a note stating that the instrument is being repaired. If there is no note, I mark you as "unprepared".

2 comments:

... said...

U wouldn't be talking about me, woul u ms. C-ham??? Oh and can I get info on band night for tomorrow. I got the $5, sneakers, jeans, coat, band shirt, and trumpet... What time do we need to be there?

Ms. Cunningham said...

No, your stuck slide was the least of what I saw on Tuesday.
Be at CHS at 2:30 or as close to that as you can. I know that Oompah Loompahs have rehearsal so they won't be there until after 3:30.